Tips to Keep Your Home Warm this Winter
Use these simple tips to keep your home warm this winter:
- Open drapes on sunny days to allow sunlight to warm the room. Close drapes at night to help keep warmth inside the home.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees Fahrenheit or lower if health permits. Turn the thermostat down 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit at night and when you leave your home.
- Use your primary heating source, like your furnace, boiler or heat pump, to heat your home. Using a space heater can be very expensive.
- Keep furniture and drapes away from heat registers so warm air flows into rooms.
- Your furnace fan should be set to "AUTO" not "ON."
- Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
By working together to save energy, we can advance our shared sustainability goals. MGE is targeting at least an 80% reduction in carbon by 2030 and net-zero carbon electricity by 2050. Learn more
about our carbon reduction goals and the role of energy efficiency and conservation.