Reduce Humidity in Your Home
MGE has some simple strategies for preparing your home for summer humidity.
As temperatures continue to rise, so does humidity in our homes. Now is a great time to get your dehumidifier ready for the season. It’s important to control high humidity in basements to prevent mold growth and improve indoor air quality. You can help control moisture and reduce run time by checking gutter and downspout drainage, sloping soil away from your home's foundation and looking for the ENERGY STAR® label when buying a new dehumidifier.
Additionally, you can follow these simple tips for operating a dehumidifier efficiently:
- Set the humidity control so the appliance does not run continuously.
- Close all windows and doors to the area.
- Position the dehumidifier away from the wall or furniture so air can circulate through the unit.
- Keep the dehumidifier clean. Wipe or vacuum dust and dirt from the coils and fan.
- If you have a choice of fan speeds, higher speeds are more efficient.
- Help reduce peak electric use. Put a timer on your dehumidifier to turn it on at 9 p.m. and off at 10 a.m.
Visit mge.com/dehumidifier to learn more.