10 Ways to Save Energy in the New Year!
Add saving energy to your New Year's resolution list.
Happy New Year from Madison Gas and Electric (MGE)! Help save energy and make your home more comfortable in the new year with these simple energy-saving tips.
10. Turn off the lights! When leaving a room, remember to turn off lights, TVs and other electronics you aren't using.
9. Let the sunlight warm your space. Open blinds or curtains during the day to let in the sun's warmth. Close those window treatments at night to help keep the warm air inside your home and block drafts.
8. Lower your water temperature to 120 degrees and wash with cold water, if possible. Lowering the temperature on your water heater by a few degrees likely won't make a difference in comfort and will save energy. And, remember to switch it to vacation mode if you'll be traveling.
7. Choose ENERGY STAR® appliances and electronics. If you know you'll be buying a new appliance or television in the new year, make sure it features the ENERGY STAR label. These products meet specific energy efficiency requirements established by the EPA.
6. Use a smart power strip for electronics. Help reduce phantom energy use by plugging electronics into a smart power strip that shuts off electricity to devices when they aren't in use.
5. Switch to LED lighting. Replace incandescent light bulbs with more efficient LED bulbs. LEDs use 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last longer.
4. Install a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats can learn your household routine and make saving energy almost effortless. If you're looking to upgrade to a smart thermostat, visit focusonenergy.com/smart for instant incentives.
3. Heat the person, not the room. Use an electric blanket or heating pad or put on an extra layer of clothing instead of turning up the thermostat or using a space heater.
2. Reduce drafts and heat loss. Replace worn weatherstripping around doors and windows to keep in warm air and to reduce drafts.
1. Set your thermostat lower in winter. You can save an estimated 10% on your heating by turning your thermostat down 10 degrees for eight hours a day. Visit mge.com/setback for recommended thermostat settings.
Free energy expert advice
MGE can provide tips and answer your questions about saving energy at home any time of year! Email our Energy Experts at AskExperts@mge.com or call the MGE Home Energy Line at (608) 252-7117.